Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Vegas: The Stratosphere Thrill Rides

This past weekend I was in Vegas with my mom, dad, sister, and roommate, Aimee. As always in Vegas, I had an awesome weekend.

On Sunday morning, after two very late nights we were wondering what to do with our afternoon and I had the idea to head over to the Stratosphere Hotel and ride the rides at the top of the building.


I have to preface this by saying that whoever thought of putting thrill rides on top of a 900' building was absolutely INSANE and brilliant. This is really the craziest thing I have ever seen... only in Vegas, huh?

The first ride we went on is called Insanity. You basically
sit in some seats attached to an arm and the arm moves you out into the open so you are just sitting there above the tallest building west of the Mississippi with nothing underneath you. Then they spin you around so that you're at a 45 degree angle to the ground just looking at the pavement below you praying to god that you don't fall out and squash your brains on the ground!

I was terrified. For some reason this was was my idea, but unfortunately once I was up there I discovered that I inherited my father's fear of heights. I seriously almost cried and almost threw up on this first ride. I had to hold Aimee's hand on this one and my mom's on the other two, and on the Insanity I was sweating so bad that there was a little puddle in my shoe when we got off the ride (and that is not an exaggeration!).

The second ride was called the XScream. This lovely little ride is basically a see-saw with a car on top of it that moves with the motion of the see-saw. The car is literally hanging off of the track over the edge of the building (again with nothing below you) and they just let you sit there a little bit to absorb how extremely terrifying it is before suddenly dropping you down farther. This video gives you a nice idea of what its like.... This was probably the least enjoyable of the three for me.







After that, my nerves were shot. I was absolutely freaking out at this point and we still had one more ride to go: The Big Shot.


For this ride, you just sit in some seats attached to the bottom of a big shaft and they shoot you 160 feet in the air at 45 miles per hour before you come plummeting down to earth. (Keep in mind this is 160 feet in the air on top of a 912 foot building! putting you at a total of 1,081 feet above the strip!). By the time we got to this ride, I was basically having a panic attack. I absolutely did not want to do this, as is evidenced by my face in this picture:
My mom did way better than I did on these rides and I was the one who made her do it! It is amazing that I have been skydiving and bungee jumping, but these things are what really scared the bejesus out of me. (OK OK, they had to push me over the edge for the bungee jump...but this was definitely scarier!)
In spite of being completely terrified, I really did enjoy the day and I think I would recommend for anyone to try these rides while in Vegas.

But, I can tell you this: It is something which I will never do again!

No comments:

Post a Comment